Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Temptation




Here is my depiction of the serpent offering eve the fruit of knowledge. I have a lot to say about this and I may jump around.

First, in regards to the subject matter, I find religion to be a great source of material. I consider most of it to be metaphor. I think any one, religious or non-religious, who takes religious writing literally is a full fledged moron. For the sake of argument, lets say god is real and he relayed the story of the bible verbatim. How the fuck would a person over 2000 years ago begin to be able to comprehend things like...the big bang or evolution? If you were god, you'd have to simplify it so that your moron children would be able to kind of comprehend the basics of what you were saying. Ofcourse, these moron children can't get past the idea of a metaphor and instead of getting the basic message, which is "be a good person" it's "WE TAKE THIS LITERALLY AND IF YOU DON'T YOU'RE GOING TO HELL."

In keeping with my idea of metaphor, I've always thought that it was odd that a snake could convince a woman to eat something. I don't think the snake was a literal snake, but a metaphoric one. An asshole with a shit eating grin... like this motherfucker.

When it comes to the rendering of the figure. I have this general policy of treating men and women the same. I draw women with huge tats and round asses, but I also draw men with 0% body fat who are fucking ripped. I do this for two reasons. To make sure that you can tell the sex of what you are looking at. Many people go on about how comic books and fictional characters set unrealistic standards and expectations for the young. I say, it's merely a symbolic representation of the sexes that is a reflection of societies expectations. I also think both sexes drool over certain archetypes of the opposite sex. Certainly, most leading men are handsome and attractive.

I mean I don't fit this physical archetype. I wish I did. In fact I've been trying to take care of myself more, and I've been slowly easing myself in to eating better and exercising more. While the health benfits are certainly the best long term reason to do such a thing. The fact of the matter is, I want to look better too.

So there are social pressures upon all of us, and to be fair I choose to represent figures equally. If I'm going to be drawing hot girls, I have to draw hot guys too.

No comments: