Saturday, December 6, 2008

Finals Weekend Step 1 - The Plan

Well, this coming week my final projects are due and I only have this weekend to work on them. So for shits and giggles I'm going to update on this blog with my progress, just incase I fuck up at some point. I can point to this journal and say "I simply made a mistake."

Anyway, my final painting project is supposed to be a portrait that's more than a portrait. We're supposed to test different picture planes using techniques used in the class. ie, it can't all be one technique, it needs to be seperated and experimental. Acrylic, Oil, Direct and Indirect painting techniques.

I was racking my brain trying to figure out what to do and I had an epiphany. Why should I try to make something that's artsy fartsy bullshit. I decided to do something that represents me and my culture without being faggy and ambiguous.

I decided to do a faux fighter selection screen, kind of like this. Only, it'll be based on a snapshot of my culture , what I find to be interesting and cool. The two opponents will be me and my teacher.

There's a lot going on here, first it's an artistic representation of a videogame. I am an artist that plays videogames, and considers videogames to be the next great art. The subject of the game is fighting, this exemplifies my approach towards improvement in art. I am a very confrontational student. I doubt many teachers like having me, but its how I learn and improve.

So, with the concept fully realized in my brain, I started trying to decide who to include in the selection boxes, and here is what I came up with:
Myself
My Teacher
Slowpoke
Michelangelo (the turtle)
Alien
Raziel
Warboss
The Burger King
Necron
Chaos Marine
Space Marine
Dr. House
Kain
Kei
Pedobear
Pyramid Head

Almost included the mythbusters, but I didn't have enough room.

Next in part two, the basic images, drawn on the computer.

No comments: