Friday, May 8, 2009

The Hive Queen


"You wanted to see her."

This is based on a scene from.... Xenocide...I think. Xenocide is the third Ender's Game novel. In it, practically the first thing that Valentine does when she reunites with Ender is to go meet the ressurrected Bugger Queen. When they first see her, she's killing her own workers to feed new larva queens. It's an awesome scene but I'm not going to spoil why. This is pretty much what I saw in my head when I read the book. (Maybe a little redder.)

The novels never really went in to too much detail, but a couple of things forced me to totally rethink my interpretation of the buggers.

The toughest thing was the rainbow reflection on the slime covering the wings, and to give her the disgusting majesty described in the book.

No comments: